As an employee covered by a public service collective agreement in Canada, you are entitled to certain benefits including paid medical appointments. These appointments can be for routine check-ups, specialist consultations, or any other medical need that requires your attention during working hours.

The Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) is the largest federal public sector union in Canada, representing over 200,000 workers. It negotiates collective agreements on behalf of its members, including provisions for medical appointments.

Under the PSAC collective agreement, employees are entitled to paid leave for necessary medical appointments. This means that you can attend your appointments without losing pay or having to use your vacation time. It is important to note that while the leave is paid, it is still subject to the approval of your supervisor and department.

To take advantage of this benefit, you must provide your supervisor with reasonable notice of your appointment, and you must make every effort to schedule your appointment outside of your regular working hours. If this is not possible, you should speak with your supervisor to find a suitable time that accommodates both your medical needs and work responsibilities.

It is important to remember that this benefit is for necessary medical appointments only. Any appointments that do not meet this criteria may not be covered under the collective agreement. Moreover, if you require time off for medical reasons beyond appointments, you may be entitled to additional coverage under the collective agreement and should consult your union representative.

In conclusion, as a public service employee covered by the PSAC collective agreement, you have the right to take time off for necessary medical appointments without losing pay. However, it is important to follow the proper procedures and communicate with your supervisor to ensure that your absence is approved and that your work is not negatively affected. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your entitlements, your union representative should be your first point of contact.